Apple pie is a classic dessert that is enjoyed all year round, but especially during the fall season. If you’re looking for an old-fashioned apple pie recipe that will remind you of grandma’s baking, then this is the recipe for you. In this recipe, we use Pappy’s Pie Dough, which is a pre-made pie crust that is easy to use and produces a flaky crust that is perfect for apple pie. We recommend using tart baking apples such as Haralson or Granny Smith for the best results.
- 4 pods of Pappy’s Pie Dough, thawed but still chilled
- 5-7 tart baking apples
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Ensure your Pappy’s Pie Dough Crusts are thawed, but still chilled.
- For each crust (top and bottom), roll out on a floured surface to about 12” in diameter and ¼” thick. (You’ll likely need more than one pod for each crust if you are using a deep dish pie tin).
- Place the bottom crust in a 9″ pie pan with the crust overlapping the sides.
- Core and pare the apples. Slice them thinly.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar, flour, salt, spices, and apple slices. If the apples are not tart, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Place the apple mixture in the pie crust and dot with butter. Place the top pie crust layer on top and crimp the edges.
- Make 1″ slits or with a fork in 3 or 4 places on top of the crust for steam vents. Sprinkle the top crust with large crystal decorator’s sugar for a professional look.
- Bake at 400°F for 50 minutes.
- Cool on a rack to let set prior to serving warm or at room temperature.
This recipe is easy to follow and will produce a delicious, old-fashioned apple pie that is sure to impress your family and friends. The combination of tart apples, warm spices, and flaky crust is the perfect dessert for any occasion. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or enjoy it at room temperature with a cup of coffee or tea. Either way, this apple pie recipe is a classic that you’ll want to make again and again.