When the days get chilly and you’re craving a warm, satisfying meal, there’s nothing quite like a homemade chicken pot pie made with Pappy’s Pie Dough. This scrumptious recipe is the perfect way to bring the family together around the table, sharing stories and smiles as you enjoy each delightful bite. With carrots, potatoes, peas, and onions all nestled together with tender chicken, you’ll be reminded of why this dish has been a favorite for generations. Choose to make a single casserole or individual pot pies – either way, the aroma wafting through your kitchen will have everyone eagerly anticipating dinner!
- 2 pods Pappy’s Pie Dough, thawed but still chilled
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 package (9 oz) frozen peas and pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Start by ensuring your Pappy’s Pie Dough pods are thawed but still chilled for the perfect texture.
- Place the chicken breasts in a saucepan with the chicken broth and let them simmer until they’re fork-tender.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and add the diced carrots and potatoes. Cook them over low heat until they’re tender and full of flavor.
- Chop the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces and add them back into the simmering broth, carrot, and potato mixture.
- It’s time to bring in the frozen peas and pearl onions, stirring them in gently.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 1/2 cup of water, then pour it into the broth mixture to help thicken the filling to perfection.
- If necessary, adjust the thickness of the filling with additional water. Remember, it will thicken slightly during baking. Once you have the perfect consistency, transfer the filling to a casserole dish or divide it among four individual serving pie dishes.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Stack the two pods of Pappy’s Pie Dough and roll out the dough large enough to cover your casserole dish or individual pie dishes.
- Gently lay the dough over the top of the casserole, fitting it just inside the rim. Fold the edges under and crimp them for a lovely, rustic appearance. Don’t forget to cut steam vents into the crust to ensure a crispy finish and prevent a messy oven!
- Place the pot pie on the bottom oven rack and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is a beautiful golden brown.
- If you’re a planner, you’ll love that this chicken pot pie recipe can be prepared ahead of time and frozen for later baking. Simply follow the instructions up to step 9, then wrap and freeze. When you’re ready to enjoy, bake it according to step 10, adding a few extra minutes if needed.
This Pappy’s Pie Dough Chicken Pot Pie is sure to become a treasured recipe in your family’s collection. The combination of tender chicken, hearty vegetables, and flaky Pappy’s Pie Dough creates a symphony of flavors and textures that will leave everyone craving seconds. Whether you’re enjoying this comforting meal on a cozy night in, sharing it with friends at a potluck, or preparing it for a special family dinner, it’s guaranteed to warm hearts and fill bellies with happiness. So, gather your ingredients and start creating your own delicious memories with this classic comfort food dish!